This is a permanent, full time contract, based in Aylesford, Kent, working 37 hours per week
Salary: £55,000 per annum
Direct People Responsibility: Property Services Supervisor; Grounds Maintenance Operatives; Tradesmen; Administrator
Current Operating Areas: Asset management, facilities management, grounds maintenance and small/medium projects
Main Purpose of the Role:
To take responsibility of managing residential properties, care homes and shared accommodation and commercial property across the RBLI Village and in our wider portfolio. Supervising an internal team and co-ordinating specialist contractors to deliver planned and responsive repairs, site and facilities management including grounds maintenance across the 72 acre RBLI village in Aylesford, Kent.
You will ensure that RBLI properties and safe and compliant and provide and instil a clear customer
Service methodology in dealing with residents and colleagues.
At a strategic level give advice on impact on facilities as part of estate development plans.
Your Key Responsibilities:
- Responsible for all aspects of maintenance and upkeep of RBLI portfolio and grounds to a high standard, either by the Technical Services in House team or external contractors and within budget agreed with the Director of RBLI Living
- Ensure that RBLI properties are safe and comply with relevant regulation, working in consultation with the Head of Housing and Communities, Health and Safety Manager and Care Managers to achieve this
- Manage the day to day operation for maintenance of commercial and domestic buildings and grounds.
- Responsible for coordination of day to day work of the Technical Services team prioritising work to be undertaken on a weekly, monthly and in a planned maintenance programme from 1 to 5 years for all buildings and grounds maintenance. This will include full costs internally and from external contractors. Provide year long maintenance for the whole of the RBLI property portfolio.
- Hold regular meetings with staff and supervisor to prioritise duties to be carried out on a daily/weekly basis and for long term planning.
- Ensure all staff within the service section are fully occupied in providing a cost effective service.
- Hold regular supervision sessions and appraisal sessions with staff using the RBLI procedure and documentation.
- Take part in and supervise the out of hours, on call emergency service for maintenance requests covering evening, weekend and Bank and Public Holidays.
- Take part in the recruitment and selection of new staff.
- Ensure that all grounds are maintained to a tidy and acceptable standard including grassed areas, borders, shrubs, trees, etc,
- Compare in house costs with commercial outsourcing for each property function to provide best value.
- Establish a list of approved contractors and suppliers and check companies for credit rating, performance and delivery and establish point of contact.
- Negotiate discounts for all maintenance contracts and repeat business with external contractors.
Regulations and Registers
- Create, update and maintain a fully comprehensive asset register of all RBLI buildings, equipment and fittings and keep in a secure place to be able to give advice to the Senior Management Team and outside contractors when required.
- Collate all property drawings, build drawings and build specifications and maintenance schedules for every building and complete as necessary. List existing contractors review dates and costs.
- Ensure that properties conform to all necessary legal requirements, building regulations, DDA regulations, Local authority controls, fire regulations and that relevant planning approval is sought and gained when required for small to medium new builds or adaptations.
- For commercial buildings provide wiring diagrams, drainage records, gas pipe layouts, water pipe layouts, computer data cable layouts, circuit diagrams, keep central records and display these as point of use in each location.
Health and Safety
- Ensure all Health and Safety regulations are adhered to as are reasonable for the safety of employees and tenants as a duty of care.
- Ensure all risk assessments are carried out and documented before any maintenance or grounds work is carried out.
- Ensure contractors meet all Health and Safety requirements and do their own risk assessments and method statements and that this is documented and copies kept.
Plant and Machinery
- Ensure all the company’s plant and machinery is in good working order and meeting all statutory requirements to safeguard employees and tenants/residents.
- Ensure all service agreements are adhered to and recommendations for change are made to the Director of RBLI Living.
- Control all income and expenditure within the agreed annual budget and ongoing forecasts to achieve successful cost control and income streams leading to successful financial management.
- Oversee and monitor small to medium capital projects when required to ensure work is to a high standard and within agreed budgets.
- Working with the HR department to ensure all staff training is kept up to date and a full register kept with dates for trade professionals or accreditation purposes to ensure staff are qualified in providing best practice to the organisation.
- Make recommendations to the Director of RBLI Living including costs for updates and further training for all staff.
- Ensure effective communications takes place between team members and to the Senior Management Team on Technical matters. Ensure tenants are informed in writing about planned maintenance work. This is to be followed up with evaluation forms to ensure consistency of service and constructive feedback.
- Develop and foster good working relationships and communication with neighbours, Head of Estates Development, staff, residents and local authority.
- Attend regular staff, tenant and manager’s meetings to inform staff and tenants of changes and receive feedback.
- Promote good data protection and information security principles within your team
- Undertake all HR related activity and processes as requested by the HR Department and SMT including but not limited to absence management, performance management, investigations, disciplinary and grievance hearings and annual appraisals.
- Undertake recruitment as and when necessary in order to ensure that a balanced, skilled and flexible workforce is maintained now and in the future.
- Ensure that training needs are assessed, implemented and monitored for all team members where appropriate
- Implement Investors in People in the division as part of a Company-wide initiative.
- Ensure a safe working environment for all employees, providing training as appropriate and health and safety measures as required in order to comply with legislative requirements.
- Promote by example the high standards that RBLI expects of its employees and volunteers when representing RBLI and support staff and volunteers to understand and reach these standards
- Show courtesy and respect to tenants/residents and relations at all times to ensure that they enjoy the highest quality of life, respect and confidentiality.
- During day to day activities such as visits to tenant’s homes, report any concerns to the Director of RBLI Living without delay.
- Be aware of and at all times comply with, all relevant company policies and procedures and all relevant statutory responsibilities including fire arrangements, Health and Safety issues including moving and handling, COSHH regulations, maintaining records diligently and accurately as required.
- Office based
- Regular factory, offices, buildings/houses and estate visits
- Regional travel
- Leader and motivator
- Operationally focussed
- Financially astute
- Decision maker
- Team player
Skills & Experience Required:
- Knowledge of Health and Safety legislation
- Understanding building regulations
- Experience of managing hard and soft services at a senior level
- Hands on process and people management experience
- Project management
- Experience of tendering and managing contracts and contractors
- Management qualification
- Knowledge of charity or private sector
- Working with local authorities
- Risk Management
25 days annual leave + bank holidays, a Group Flexible Retirement Plan and Life Assurance.
If you wish to be considered for the above role, forward your CV and covering letter including a supporting statement to email@example.com. RBLI is an equal opportunities employer.
RBLI is an accredited Disability Confident Leader. We guarantee to interview disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the role. If you consider yourself to have a disability and would like to apply for the above role under our disability confident scheme then please submit your application to firstname.lastname@example.org
Should you need additional support or any reasonable adjustments to support you in applying for this role please email email@example.com or call 01622 795917
* RBLI reserves the right to remove a vacancy at any time prior to the published closing date
CLOSING DATE: 3 August 2021
INTERVIEWS: 11 August 2021